Additional Studies / Institutions: After some few years of pastoral work, he proceeded on further studies away from the shores of Nigeria and Africa, to the renowned Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome from 1977 - 1981 and to the famous Hebrew University, Jerusalem, (1978 – 1979) where he obtained a Licentiate in Sacred Scriptures (LSS)..
Duties and Responsibilities: He lectured at St. Augustine’s Major Seminary, Jos, Plateau State from 1981 - 1994. In 1984, he was appointed Vice - Rector of the Institution and eventually rose to become its first alumnus Rector; a position he held for six years and was notable for his excellence, meritorious and committed service in forming Priests for the Church.
Parish Priesthood / Chaplain: After his time, providing spiritual and physical guidance to seminarians in the seminary and forming several priests for the Church, he combined the Parish Priesthood of St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, Jos with the Chaplainship of the Good Shepherd Catholic Chaplaincy, University of Jos where he helped build up students into integrated personalities and prepared them for roles many of them are playing well on the stage of life. He thus became the first Jos Archdiocesan Priest to have taken up residence cum being a lecturer in the University of Jos.
Appointment as Vicar General: In 2008, he was appointed by the Archbishop of Jos, Most Rev. Dr. Ignatius Kaigama as one of his Vicars - General and charged with the responsibility of administration and religious, a position he is holding till date.
Perfect Blend of an Intellectual Genius and a Spiritual Icon: Msgr. Gotan’s standing as a perfect blend of an intellectual genius and a spiritual icon are second to none. His publications in renowned journals – local and international are both extensive and of remarkable quality. All of these have resulted in his steady promotion to the heights of intellectual eminence – from Lecturer II to that of a Professor of Religion Education in 2007.
Offices Held: Among countless offices rested on his shoulders are:
• Pioneer member of the Plateau State Board of Relevant Technology (1974 - 1977);
• Pioneer Chairman, Plateau State Christian Pilgrims’ Welfare Board (1981 - 1983);
• Pioneer National Secretary and later National President of the Nigerian Catholic Diocesan Priests’ Association (NCDPA);
• President, Catholic Theological Association of Nigeria (CATHAN, 1998 – 2003);
• A one-time member of Council of the Catholic University of Nigeria (now VERITAS University) and a member of its Academic Committee;
• Pioneer Head of Department of Arts Education, University of Jos.
In 2012, he was inducted into the Nigeria Academy of Education, (MNAE), the highest professional body in Education. After stepping down from the top of the pyramid of the administrative hierarchy in the Faculty of Education, University of Jos where he was twice unanimously elected into the office of Dean of the Faculty, he proceeded to Veritas University (the Catholic University of Nigeria, Abuja), where he is the Dean, College of Education for sabbatical.
• Msgr. Gotan is currently the chairman, Board of Governors, Oswald Waller College of Education, Shendam, Plateau State;
• Dean, College of Education, Veritas University, Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
• Vicar - General, Administration Catholic Archdiocese of Jos;
• Chairman, Research Ethics Committee, OLA Hospital, Jos.
• Member of the governing Council of the Federal College of Education, Pankshin, Plateau State.
• He has been External Examiner of the Catholic Institute of West Africa (CIWA), Port Harcourt and Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; for quite some years now.